making available usb usable iso's without using livecd-iso-to-disk or liveusb-creator

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Mon Apr 13 09:05:54 UTC 2009

On Mo April 13 2009, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Sunday, April 12 2009, Till Maas said:

> It's on my list to look at, but its existence was a little late for F11.
> The conflict with the implanted md5 makes me a little sad inside, but
> maybe we can come up with a good way to do both.  The other thing it
> seems somewhat likely to conflict with is dual-mode MBR/EFI boot CDs
> which we also want to support.

I was fooled by the implantisomd5 error message, they do not conflict.
implantisomd5 tells me for a hybrid and normal F11 Beta Live iso image:

| ERROR: Application data has been used - not implanting md5sum!

This should probably mean, that there is already a md5sum implanted. Using
"implantisomd5 --force *.iso" works and the iso still boots as a HD in qemu.

> > The problem with live-iso-to-disk is, that it is not functional on F10 to
> > create F11 live USB media, because it requires a F11 syslinux package. To
> > create testing live USB media, it would be a lot better if it was
> > possible just to use the latest Fedora Stable release to create bootable
> > test media, which should be always possible to use dd or cat with the
> > hybrid iso.
>
> There's a hacked livecd-iso-to-disk.sh in git and on my fedorapeople
> page[1] that feedback on would be helpful.  Assuming it works, then
> we'll probably push the hack back to older releases.  I was hoping to
> find something better, but so far, no dice :/

Should it be tested with the original F10 syslinux package or does this not
matter?

Regards,
Till