My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Apr 15 09:08:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:01:13AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Uh, if the default is to have it disabled (and it currently is), GDM would
> > have to explicitly enable it for that to work. As would KDM and all the
> > other login managers. I don't see this actually implemented in Rawhide's
> > GDM. The option would have to default to enabled for things to just work.
>
> Hmmm, reading Peter Hutterer's reply further down the thread, it looks like
> the default for the xkb setting _is_ "on", it's just
> gnome-keyboard-properties which turns it off by default. This makes sense.

A bit of clarification here - just in case:
The default keymap does not include the symbols anymore. fedora-setup-keyboard
(which also sets the layout based on /etc/sysconfig/keyboard) enables the
option at X server startup. hence it is on in gdm (or anytime after startup).

When gdm hands over to gnome, gnome applies the keyboard settings as stored
in gconf, and unless the option is set in gnome, it won't be turned on again.
This uses the same mechanism that allows us to start with whatever is in
sysconfig/keyboard at gdm and then apply a custom layout once the user logs
in. The visible effect is that it's on in gdm and off in the session.

For those not running gnome-settings-daemon it remains on until the respective
desktop environment changes to a layout without setting the XKB options.

Cheers,
  Peter