Booting F9 kernels on XO...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:20:03 UTC 2009

 - F9 kernels don't boot on the XO from an SD card -- even if we get
the initrd to have the right modules, the initrd loads the modules,
creates the device nodes, and yet fails to mount /dev/root --

 - dsd has a nice "fixup F9 for XO" script described here
   http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2008/08/regular-linux-desktops-on-the-xo/

The script builds a custom 2.6.25 which I think pulls in a few
additional patches (sound, etc), but most importantly, it builds the
mmc related drivers statically. It also sets up an initrd.

If we try to boot with the initd, it fails. But if we skip the initrd,
the system boots.

So there are two avenues

 - Figuring out what is wrong with the initrds, and fix mkinitrd. Help
would be welcome here from people who know more about debugging
initrds :-) (is there a way to get dumped into a nash shell when it
all breaks?)

 - Build a kernel exactly like Fedora 9 kernels, but with the mmc
drivers built statically. This is what I am am doing right now,
following the nice guide at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

cheers,

martin