Upgrade path from F-10+update to F-11

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Apr 15 22:21:00 UTC 2009

Laurent Rineau wrote:
> Unless I missed something, there is a known problem about releasing
> updates for F-10 while F-11 is frozen. The evr of the update for F-10 must
> be carrefully choosen so that there exists an upgrade path between an
> updated F-10 and F-11 (from media, without online updates).

No, an update path from F10 to F11 must be maintained, but that's from
F10+updates to F11+updates. IMHO it's completely useless to bother with
F10+updates to F11 GA (and it's also not common practice to worry about
that: all of KDE had a higher EVR in F9 updates than in F10 GA at the F10
release time, we made the newer KDE available as a 0-day update for F10,
but it didn't make the release) as that'll only help those few people who
update on release day and those are the ones most likely to be able to fix
upgrade path issues anyway. F10 updates will move on anyway. There are ways
to include updates when upgrading now (e.g. preupgrade can do it), and for
those folks who don't do that, running a regular yum update on their F11
once should fix their system.

What you DO need to guarantee is that anything pushed as an F10 update also
gets either tagged into the F11 release or pushed as an F11 update.

> Is there a recommended way to deal with that? Are evr ending with .f10.1,
> .f10.2, and so on, are those evr a general way to deal with the upgrade
> path during the freeze of F-11 (and more generally during the freeze of
> rawhide)?

These will work, but they're not really the ideal solution if the changes
you're making are also needed in F11. And this technique won't work for
version upgrades in any case.

The way to deal with EVRs is: if you push an F10 update:
* ask yourself if it makes sense to get it tagged into F11 final even during
the freeze. If so, please request the tag from rel-eng as soon as possible.
Make sure you give a rationale of why this should get tagged.
* if you think it doesn't make sense or if rel-eng rejects your tag request,
queue it as an F11 update as soon as Bodhi starts accepting them, which
should be soon.

        Kevin Kofler