My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:18:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-15 at 14:50 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>
>> > Heh...that's funny.
>>
>> > you clearly have no idea what I've been doing for a living for a very
>> > long time. :)
>>
>> > Fedora QA Community Monkey
>>
>> Ahh, so this is about job continuity[1]? :)
>>
>> Paul
>> [1] It's a joke. Sorry, couldn't resist.
>
> Haha :) No, it's just that, as far as I can see, the impact on newbies
> is that we tell them to reboot instead of doing ctrl-alt-backspace.
> Total cost: about twenty seconds (time to reboot vs. time to restart X).
> Killing X kills all X apps in any case, so they're not going to lose any
> data rebooting that they wouldn't have lost anyway by doing
> ctrl-alt-backspace. Or are our newbies running emacs in virtual consoles
> now?

You're correct.  I guess we will just have to live with the fact that
X got a little bit lamer.  I don't fully understand why, perhaps it's
an ego thing, perhaps X strives to be more like windows, perhaps
people are just clueless and dumb or maybe a little bit of all of the
above. Maybe Microsoft is paying the X guys to disable the feature by
default, I don't know? I guess no one will ever know the *real* reason
why the defaults were changed.