mono-2.4 resolution for F11, needs doing by F12

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 16:28:22 UTC 2009

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> 1) We're able to build by linking the mono vm statically to libmono.
> AFAIK, libmono implements the runtime and the mono binary just wraps
> that up into an invokable program.  When we link dynamically, we get a
> stack overflow when using the built mono with mcs to compile c sharp
> files needed for the System library.  Interestingly, this fails on sparc
> (both solaris and fedora) as well, although the failure is different.
>
> This is something we need to fix because we don't know why we're failing
> when linking this way.  There's a chance that other programs that want
> to embed the mono vm (via linking to libmono) will fail in similar ways
> to the mono binary in these circumstances.

I've found some embedding sample code in the mono source that shows that
we get SegFaults when attempting to link to the dynamic libmono.so.
Hopefully those simpler examples will help in tracking down what's going
wrong.

> 2) We're not building for ppc64.  We haven't had mono on ppc64 before
> now and we generally run ppc32 userspace on ppc64 so this doesn't block
> F11.  If I understand all the communication about this, though, it
> should now be possible.  We just need to bootstrap this on F12 rawhide
> and make sure that it works.

This has been done in the current devel branch.  The changes can be done
in the F11 branch as well if people want to build for ppc64 on F11.  So
only the dynamic linking/static linking needs to be resolved.

-Toshio