Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Apr 17 10:16:29 UTC 2009

On 04/17/2009 11:47 AM, Kostas Georgiou wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:19:19AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> That would seriously limit the amount of stuff which would need to be
>> moved to / , for example having a separate /usr on a network based
>> filesystem (or blockdevice such as iscsi) will not work, as netfs now
>> a days get mounted after NetworkManager and NM itself lives in /usr.
>
> I'll be very surprised if anyone that mounts /usr from the network
> has NM enabled. I at least keep NM only in laptop installs for anything
> else it is disabled as early as possible.

Ack, then we could put that in the doc, that /usr on a network based
filesystem (or blockdevice such as iscsi) is not supported with NM, or
whatever. I'm not trying to say what we should put in such a doc, this
is just an example. I'm merely trying to argue we need a Document
describing what we do and do not support wrt to having a separate /usr

Think for example something weird like /usr on fuse, do we want to support
that? Note that given the infinite amount of possibilities it is probably
the best to only describe what we do support.

Regards,

Hans