Re: Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Andrew Haley wrote:

Well, sometimes the fact that something *is* standard is far more important
than what the standard is.  And /usr has been around for a very long time,
and lots of software (an people, for that matter) know that it's there.
Much of the GNU configured software by default installs in /usr/local.
There has to be a very high bar for changing common practice.

Yeah, I agree. I mean I haven't really seen any *solid* reason for removing /usr. What does it improve? What situation does it fix? It doesn't save a massive amount of space, it doesn't increase performance, it doesn't resolve any long standing bug I can see. A change like that for so little gain will find it hard to gain traction I think.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
T: 403.875.4613