changelog format

I gather I'm expected to write the changelog in a spec file by hand. How
strict are the requirements on the format of changelog entries? Are they
meant to be machine-readable? Is the format specified anywhere? The packaging
guidelines document contains four examples. Examples are good but they're no
replacement for a specification.

So far, RPMlint has told me that each entry must start with an asterisk and
that the international standard date format is bad. Can I trust that the
format is OK if RPMlint doesn't complain?

Björn Persson