development packages and multilib

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Apr 20 01:47:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 06:43:10PM -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> This is a dilemma we have in Fedora. I have no idea why someone would
> want to keep the devel subpackages of the same package with different
> archs installed.

For example.
I have a production tool that needs to run (and therfore be tested) on both 32
and 64 bit varients of my platform (say intel or powerpc).  I need both the
/usr/lib and /usr/lib64 files (and therefor the packages) installed so I can
compile and test locally.

Sure I /could/ to the testing on the target server but I don't need (nor want)
to.

> Even adding a %doc makes these devel subpackages conflict each other.
> I do wonder what is the logic laying behind.

I agree this isn't an easy problem to solve and has been discussed many times
here (and I've only been here for 6 months ;P)

Yours Tony