changelog format

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Mon Apr 20 08:34:05 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Björn Persson wrote:

> I gather I'm expected to write the changelog in a spec file by hand. How
> strict are the requirements on the format of changelog entries?

RPMlint should be your friend. It yells at you if you do something
wrong.

> Are they meant to be machine-readable?
> (...)
> So far, RPMlint has told me that each entry must start with an asterisk and
> that the international standard date format is bad. Can I trust that the
> format is OK if RPMlint doesn't complain?

Should be so I think, since RPMlint is a machine, it's definately supposed
to be machine-readable anyway since RPMlint is something we support.

There is also an RPM spec edit mode in Eclipse that Red Hat guys put in at
some point I think, it should format the log according to some rules too.

But you're right: I've never seen a spec for this log either.

Linus