Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Zack Cerza zcerza at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 17:11:42 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 01:48 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Fri, 17.04.09 18:38, Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) wrote:
>

> > Once upon a time, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> said:
> > > However, no daemon should ever touch files in /etc automatically. That
> > > NM does that is pretty bad style. Instead resolv.conf should be
> > > replaced by a symlink to /var and manipulated there.
> >
> > /etc is by standard for system configuration files.  It is unreasonable
> > to expect everything that needs to update system configuration to have
> > to know to remount read-write / (or /etc or whatever).  Making a bunch
> > of symlinks just to repoint configuration files out of the configuration
> > directory would be stupid.
>
> You are overerstimating how much software actually touches /etc.
>
> And what you call 'stupid' is pretty common sense everywhere except on
> Fedora as it seems.
>
> You can do it on OpenSUSE:
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/How-To_Make_the_root_filesystem_read-only

Above page contains lots of manual steps, like the following:

* move /etc/resolv.conf to /dev/shm/resolv.conf
# mv /etc/resolv.conf /dev/shm
* link /dev/shm/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf
# ln -s /dev/shm/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

So, if that's how "you can do it on OpenSUSE", I bet you could do it
similarly on Fedora today. If the OpenSUSE way is good enough for you,
then perhaps you could just write up a doc similar to theirs for Fedora.

That said, I don't personally care if /usr continues to exist. I also
didn't check the two links below.