gnome keyring daemon from cron job

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Apr 20 19:43:05 UTC 2009

2009/4/20 Christoph Höger <choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de>:

> Uh? I thought that would launch a new dbus, if none is running. After ~
> 20 cron jobs running with that setting I have only one dbus-daemon and
> on gnomekeyring-daemon running.

The autolaunched bus will terminate after the cron job ends.  Look at
the process list while your job is running (insert a sleep) and you'll
likely see two bus instances and two keyring daemons.

I'm just educated-guessing, I haven't checked though.

>> Aside from patching cron we should really ship a "ck-run-in-desktop"
>> command with ConsoleKit, it wouldn't be difficult to write.
>
> Yepp, definetely.
> But that does not help a lot since the program simply fails if there is
> no gnome running ;)

My thought was that this program would launch a bus if none was
running.  And ideally, that same bus would be picked up by the desktop
if you later logged in.

> My current problem is, that the cronjob used to know
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS in earlier releases.

Yes, I'm not sure what changed honestly.  It might actually be that
gnome-keyring gained a dbus dependency that it didn't have before.