Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 20:04:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 19:50 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 21:41 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 01:24 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >
> > > I don't think the switch would be that complicated. The packagers
> > > could change --prefix=/usr to --prefix=/ in the spec files whenever
> > > they want. And when the last package is updated accordingly and a bit
> > > of time passed and /usr is empty it could be replaced by a symlink.
> >
> > oh, yes, because EVERYTHING builds with autotools. *sigh*
>
> Any build system that doesn't provide the same configurability as
> autotools is braindead and broken. And is likely already having to be
> patched to hell and back to build into an RPM anyway.

The point is it's not as simple as Lennart claims. There'd be dozens of
subtle changes in dozens of packages.

(Of course, nothing should be hardcoding /usr anyway. Everything should
be using macros which could be easily changed, which is the point of
macros. But I'm sure stuff is.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey