changelog format

Jussi Lehtola jussi.lehtola at iki.fi
Mon Apr 20 20:50:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 15:29 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
> > I view the RPM changelog as mostly fluff for end-user consumption.  We
> > [the packagers] can summarize the main points of that release, note
> > bug numbers addressed, and other major points for that iteration of
> > the package.
> >
> I use rpm's changelog the way David does.  I consider the one in the RPM
> to be the formal, end-user-facing record.  The CVS changelog is where
> things like "EVR bump for chainbuild", "Fixed typo in summary" or "Shit,
> forgot a BuildRequires" go.

I don't know how official the guideline at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join
is, but it states that the CVS changelog format is the same as for the
spec file changelog.

The CVS changelog is indeed a bit redundant since everything important
is already in the spec changelog, thus it might be used in a freer
fashion.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor