FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 23:28:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 00:39 +0200, Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just reading the latest distrowatch weekly and there was an
> interesting article posted there about a centralized bug tracking
> system for all of foss including all of the foss operating systems
> (fedora, ubuntu, mandriva.. you get the idea).
> I personally find this idea very interesting and am very tempted to
> put in a lot of time to get all parties together and talking about a
> idea like this (top 10 major foss distributions for now i think) to
> see if it would have any support in the highest ranking foss
> distributions. without those this idea just might not get of the
> ground so easily.

You're not likely to get Ubuntu to stop using Launchpad, or anyone else
to start using it until it's open source, so the idea's something of a
non-starter.

In theoretical terms it's not a bad idea, I just don't see it likely to
happen as a planned effort, though it might happen if something like
Launchpad but properly open source starting gaining currency among a
sufficiently large number of projects.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey