FOSS needs a central bug tracker

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 21 02:04:41 UTC 2009

2009/4/20 Mark <markg85 at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I was just reading the latest distrowatch weekly and there was an
> interesting article posted there about a centralized bug tracking
> system for all of foss including all of the foss operating systems
> (fedora, ubuntu, mandriva.. you get the idea).

Another issue is that every developer, packager, user, etc has there
own preferred work flow. It's hard enough getting something the size
of Fedora to agree on a shared work flow. Now imagine something 10,
20, 100 time the size. I think a centralized bug tracker is a great
idea but i doubt it would work.

What i would be interested in though is some kind of standardised api
implemented in all the major bug trackers so other things can be
easily implemented on top of them such as semi automated up-streaming
of bugs. Making use of something like OpenID would reduce the multiple
login issue.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...