Use bash patchlevel as part of RPM version?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 21 09:27:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 09:02:09AM +0200, Roman Rakus wrote:
> Hi,
> There is a bug (#496780) requesting to use patchlevel of bash as part of
> RPM version. So today bash-4.0-6.fc11.i586 would be
> bash-4.0.16-6.fc11.i586. What do you think about it? Could it break
> anything?
> RR

Since bash doesn't have any fancy provides try something like

for package in `repoquery --whatrequires bash`; do echo $package; repoquery -R $package|grep bash; done

to check what dependencies are pointing to bash's version. I think it
looks quite safe, but OTOH we're in a freeze with bash being an
important package, so it's better to change it for >= F12 or at the
very least as an update to 4.0.17 later in F11's maintenance timeline.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net