changelog format

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 15:29:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 12:31 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> 2009/4/21 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>:
> >
> > OK, I see what you're driving at now. But you missed one point I wrote
> > on the issue of where you want the two to be different - you can just
> > implement a keyword for commit messages which causes it not to go into
> > the RPM changelog, viz:
> >
> > cvs commit -m "this commit message will go into the RPM changelog"
> > cvs commit -m "SILENT: but this one won't!"
> >
> > pretty simple.
>
> How do you actually automatically generate the spec file changelog
> entry from the commit methods? [I've been using the make clog method,
> and actively hating it].

I don't know, the Special Magic Box always did it for me =)

this is based on my experience at Mandriva - in that system, there's no
changelog section at all in the spec file as stored in SVN (MDV stores
specs and sources in an SVN server, much like Fedora uses CVS). When you
submit a package to be built, at some point, the build tools generate
the changelog entry from your commit messages for the build that
actually gets generated and sent to the mirrors.

Give me half an hour and I'll poke through the bits of the buildsystem I
still remember and see if I can find the code...

ah, right, it's in repsys. repsys source tarball is here:
http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/repsys/current/SOURCES/repsys-1.7.tar.bz2?view=log , and it's done by RepSys/log.py .
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey