Independent Fedora bug tracker

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 16:49:56 UTC 2009

Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> writes:
> On Wednesday 22 April 2009 11:23:31 am Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
>> I believe allowing Fedora Infrastructure to run their own issue tracker
>> will result in a leaner & meaning instance that will likely run better
>> than Red Hat's, if only because it'll be fresher, but also because
>> they'll have greater control to suit the community's needs.

> We would need to import every fedora bug from Red Hats bugzilla.  it
> would be smaller but not that much smaller.  If we dont do this we
> would create alot fo confusion.

Bear in mind that database performance tends to scale about as log(N),
assuming that the DB is properly set up and maintained.  Even if a
Fedora-only DB instance were a factor of 10 smaller than the current
RHEL+Fedora instance (which I suspect is an optimistic estimate), there
would not be that much change in perceived response times.

Red Hat's bugzilla does seem to be tremendously slow at times.  As best
I've been able to tell, though, most of the slowness that I see comes
from network delays and not the database proper.  Redesigning the HTML
it puts out (to not require so many network round-trips to display a
page) might do far more for us than any amount of database fiddling.

			regards, tom lane