development packages and multilib

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 22 17:27:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 11:40 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> Ah, those folks who feel the need of testing their program in all
> archs after every other line of coding can use an interpreter based
> language. It will be less pain for all parties.

I'm optimizing performance critical code that runs on a wide variety of
platforms. I need to know how fast it is, on a wide variety of
platforms, as fast as possible. Otherwise I'm just sitting on my hands
being a dick on fedora-devel waiting for results. Something that doubles
speed on an Athlon 64 quite likely halves the speed on a Celeron.

... So no, python isn't going to cut it.

The point is I can easily cross compile for Win32 and MIPS on the same
x86_64 box, why does i386 have to be a pain in the ass?

Why don't we just move all x86_64 headers to /usr/include64, hack GCC to
look there instead when compiling x86_64, and be done with it? Includes
are apparently arch-specific, so it's a crock they're not split the same
way as lib.