Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 00:46:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 20:38 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 19:18 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
> > What do you mean? Having full control of your soundcard with all the
> > sliders and stuff is useless?
> > Not displaying everything 1-1 and hiding sliders is an improvement?
>
> Holy hell yes:
> http://people.redhat.com/alexl/files/why-alsa-sucks.png

That's a true screenshot, but that argument is vulnerable to the exact
same 'logic' used to justify not caring about people who need to adjust
a different slider than Master or PCM, or people who want to switch
input channels: it's not a common case. most people don't see that much
of a mess of channels. The "Trident TRID4DWAVENX" is not a common sound
adapter.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander - if our objection to
hardware channel access is 'it's insane on a few configurations', then
'it totally breaks what people are trying to do with their sound card on
a few configurations' is a valid objection to the new system.

If that's not the objection, stop shopping that screenshot around
everywhere. =)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey