Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 06:57:31 UTC 2009

> Thank $deity. Very few people really want to fiddle with that many
> controls. That UI is clearly not a sane one.

Of course they don't, but given the choice between "have to suffer
through poking all those controls in order to get audible sound / record
from an external device" and "not be able to get audible sound or record
from an external device", I think most people would prefer the former.
No-one's saying the previous situation is perfect, the point is that the
new system is missing functionality that is blatantly needed, which will
be experienced (and is *already* being experienced) by many many users
as a severe regression.

I don't think anyone wants to lose the new volume control, or even for
it not to be the default. All I'm asking for is for *some* old-skool GUI
mixer to be installed alongside it by default so those who need to poke
those controls will be able to find a reasonably usable app to do it
with.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey