FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 17:47:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 12:44 +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was just reading the latest distrowatch weekly and there was an
> > interesting article posted there about a centralized bug tracking
>
> Insanity :-)
>
> It's worth following what Canonical is doing with Launchpad's Malone:
> adding the ability to link to bugs in other bugtrackers -- and report
> events "locally" about bug state changes in the remote bugtracker
> ("upstream says: fixed in 2.3.3").

Our Bugzilla already supports this. Every bug has an "External Bugs"
section (between the Attachments bit and the bit where you can enter
additional comments). It supports a lot of external sites, including the
biggies - freedesktop, KDE, GNOME, Launchpad, Debian and Novell.

(The status tracking doesn't seem to work with all external sites,
though.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey