Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Thu Apr 23 20:25:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> We want to control the 'outermost' volume slider. Because that's the
> one that most likely controls the actual analog amplifier if there is
> any. Controlling 'PCM' is kind of pointless on most modern cards since
> it is implemented digitally.

Surely a nice thing in theory.

But in reality, it's not always that clear.

I recently had a dual boot system with rawhide and windows.

Windows sound was fine, right volume et all. Volume knob at the speakers
was at 50% and the software mixer at 75%.

Now booting to Linux, sound is barely audible. Turning up the volume to
100% in the mixer and turning the speakers to full was barely enough to
understand the music.

Using an alsa mixer to turn up the PCM volume to 100% somewhat fixed that.

But turning to an alsamixer to work around a problem with the current
pamixer can't be a long term solution.

What is the long term way? And no, I don't care for F11. Releases are
overrated anyway.

regards,
 andreas