PulseAudio and sound apps (was: Re: Orphaning a few packages)

Fri Apr 24 16:44:05 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 20:22 -0700, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>
> > The only fix AFAIK is to add a modprobe.conf that defines the order of
> > the cards. Easy, right? (in ancient, less civilized times, the order
> > would always be the same, and if you did not like it there would be an
> > small app that would let you configure it - that's progress :-)
>
> I don't recall that ever being the case. The order has *always* been
> unpredictable unless you had a modprobe.conf. I definitely remember
> experiencing this several years ago.

I never had any problems with this till _something_ changed fairly
recently in Fedora. Maybe it was the actual disappearance of Fedora
sound card configuration from the modprobe.conf landscape. And the
matching disappearance act of the sound configuration utility.

Anyway, my experience in many many machines over many many years has
been no problems ever before, and then the impossibility of predicting
which soundcard will be hw:0 and no way of fixing it, save for manually
creating a system configuration file as root.

I have to document this workaround in my Planet CCRMA installation pages
to make the overall system usable. It is interesting to observe how,
over the years, Fedora gets closer and closer to a usable out of the box
sound experience for Planet CCRMA users and then, suddenly, we are all
back to editing system files as root to make it usable again.

-- Fernando