FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 02:30:09 UTC 2009

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> To make it clearer:
>
> Before today's FESCo meeting:
> * The old mixer was removed
> * 1 mixer installed by default in the desktop spin.
> * The old mixer could not be installed via PK or yum
>
> Today's FESCO Mandate:
> * Revive the old mixer
> * Ship 2 mixers by default in the desktop spin.
>
> Compromise seems like it would be something along the lines of:
> * Revive the old mixer
> * 1 mixer installed by default in the desktop spin
> * The old mixer can be installed via PK or yum

I'm afraid what you're diagraming has nothing to do with compromise.
The diagram you draw implies that the level of compromise depends on how
much has changed state in the distro between the first step and last
step.  By that logic, this would be a better compromise than what
actually happened:

Before today's FESCo meeting:
* The old mixer was removed
* 1 mixer installed by default in the desktop spin.
* XFCE, KDE, N Other mixers available via PK or yum

Today's FESCo Mandate:
* Ship new mixers by default in the desktop spin.
* Ship KDE mixer by default in the desktop spin.

This makes only one change just like your compromise.

What's really involved in compromise is how far each party moves from
their original positions from the beginning of the process:

Pre meeting FESCo
* new mixer is not sufficient to meet many user's needs
  - put alternative graphical mixer onto the default spin
  - add a button to the new mixer to invoke the alternate

Pre meeting desktop Team
* New mixer is sufficient for all but a few pro user's needs.
  - 1 new mixer installed
  - new mixer runs in panel

Post meeting
* 2 mixers installed
* new mixer runs in panel
* alternate mixer hidden away in the menus

Note that from my outside view we have one glaring problem with our
compromise.  We've compromised on what programs go into the images for
F11 but we haven't resolved the fundamental differences of opinion as to
what the user's needs are.  Without that this problem will reoccur in
F12, F13, ands o on.

-Toshio