The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Apr 26 16:28:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 11:15 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Today we have MMX and SSE and similar CPU extensions. The very reason
> > we have them is to do signal processing with them. Such as
> > implementing mixing, volume adjustments, equalizers, and other filters
> > in them -- in high digital quality. Ironically even Creative sees that
> > and nowadays a lot of logic is actually in their Windows drivers, not
> > so much in their sound cards.
>
> And once again you go on and on about "modern" and "these days", and are
> completely dismissive of "Right now" and "Yesterday".

I'm not sure about 'yesterday', but I can certainly speak about 'three
days ago'. That's when my father's new laptop arrived.

I'd just installed the flash player and was making sure YouTube worked,
when I realised that I can't actually turn the sound up enough to hear
it over the radio unless I install and run gnome-alsamixer and turn the
'Front' slider up...

My MacBook Pro has the same issue, but that's _months_ old now so
presumably it's more acceptable that it doesn't work right without
gnome-alsamixer?

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation