FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:10:01 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 12:02:31PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 22:27 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> Now I'm not on FESCo and I'm not on the desktop team, so what do the
>> real stakeholders here think?  Desktop team, do you get enough value
>> from being the default spin to outweigh the extra burden of satisfying
>> everyone who thinks of the Desktop Spin as the Fedora Distribution?
>> FESCo, if the desktop team says they want a spin of their own to
>> control, are you willing to figure out a different spin (or different
>> method) for telling user's what the Fedora Distribution is?
>
>The fundamental problem is that nobody knows what Fedora is. It gets
>constantly torn into different directions, and as a result, makes nobody
>happy. See recent board agendas ("What is Fedora")...

While I disagree with the conclusion you made, I do agree that nobody has a
clear definition of what Fedora as an _OS_ is.  What the Board is addressing
is slightly different, as it is tackling what Fedora is from a project view.

FESCo should be taking that overall direction from the Board and making sure
the technical composition of the default Fedora distro release puts forth the
best approximation of those higher level goals.

That is not to say that other spins are of lesser value.  But you make a good
point in that the current spins situation is a bit confusing for end-users.

josh