The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Apr 27 12:54:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, 27.04.09 13:31, Bill Crawford (billcrawford1970 at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Saturday 25 April 2009 23:42:18 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > And no, we have no hard numbers about anything our end users want. I
> > know your hubris and stuff but uh, sorry, in contrast to what you may
> > believe I don't think that you are representative for the mythical end
> > user of Fedora. You are just a very very vocal minority.
>
> No hard numbers? You seem awfully confident that you know best, then ...

Uh? What brings you to that conclusion?

Are you claiming there are hard numbers about how our end users feel?
I don't see where those should be coming from. Nobody has been doing
any research in the area. It's questionnable if it would even be
possible to gather any information who our end users are and how they
feel, or if it even would be a consistent image we could get.

I know that Callum Lerwick thinks he is representative for our
mythical end user. I doubt that, in fact I *know* that he is not,
given that the feedback I otherwise get sounds very different from the
"Fuck you" from Mr. Lerwick.

Also, you shouldn't believe that the new volume control is solely the
product of *my* ill mind. I wrote the low-level support for it in PA,
but Bastien and Jon wrote the actual tool with input from others.

You seem to want to make this something personal. But uh, you are
wrong. The new volume control is the result of the work of a number
of people from the desktop group at RH and others.

Lennart