Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 20:20:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 02:10:10PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> fallocate(2):
> long fallocate(int fd, int mode, loff_t offset, loff_t len);

I have some questions about this syscall: One serious problem is that
the allocations seem to take a long time to complete (this is on ext3,
I've not tried ext4 on my host machine yet).  Is it possible to have
the fallocate happen 'in the background'?  Is the extent-based system
used by ext4 more efficient in this respect?

> * Come up with a list of apps which could benefit:
>   - all torrent clients?
>   - rsync? (some patches have floated before)
>   - rpm? (file installation and/or db files?)
>   - databases?
>   - file downloaders?
>   - virt image tools?

In the virt space, these:

 - libvirt storage backend
 - virt-install (python)
 - libguestfs / guestfish
 - ovirt (maybe?)

For the virt C code, it would be extremely useful to have the autoconf
state of play sorted out first, so we can just add the right macros to
our configure.ac scripts.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v