Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Mon Apr 27 20:53:49 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> [...]

You're missing the point here, I think.

Try downloading a large (multi-gigabyte) torrent on ext4 or xfs or
btrfs; see what the resulting file layout looks like if your client does
not preallocate.  Now use a client that preallocates the space and try
again.  Calling fallocate() first for the full file size will help on
all these filesystems (well, TBH, I have not tested it on btrfs).

If there are well-defined interfaces to give hints to the filesystem
about the ultimate state of a file, it's a nice feature, not a bug.

Sure, filesystems should do the best they can in the absence of hints,
but performing well (or better) _with_ a hint is not indicative of a bug.

-Eric