2.6.29 kernel for f10

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Apr 28 13:28:03 UTC 2009

On 04/28/2009 02:56 AM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> Dennis J. wrote:
>> That makes sense for a long lived distribution but not really for
>> fedora. If I really need to be running the latest versions then I'll
>> update to the next version of fedora when it comes out which is always
>> a maximum of 6 months away. I'm certain there are some fixes in the
>> new kernel that some people will appreciate and there is certainly no
>> harm in getting them but actually spending all this time on apparently
>> rather complex problems between these two kernel versions seems
>> strange if the result will be that short-lived.
>

> Just out of curiosity, since you aren't the one expending the effort,
> why does it bother you that someone else is?

I couldn't help but wonder if there is something particular going on that
I've missed. If for example the reason for this effort is that this kernel
is going to be the baseline for RHEL 6 then that's interesting information
for me as I can then take a closer look at that version and keep that in
mind when planning my next deployments.

Also if the reason is that there are a considerable number of difficult
changes in the new kernel then I might to choose holding updates of other
packages back when the new kernel gets out so I can pinpoint if any
problems from that update are a result of the new kernel.

In general I find that if I come across developments that are in some form
out of the ordinary understanding *why* things happen that way often helps
me plan better for the future. Not that it really matter all that much in
this particular case. Like you I was just curious about what's going on.

Regards,
   Dennis