Abandon "Default Desktop"

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Apr 28 16:20:58 UTC 2009

Naheem Zaffar wrote:

<snip>
</snip>
> I disagree that dropping a default desktop will be favourable in any
> way - the whole point behind a distro is that it is coherent and
> *makes decisions* about defaults and settings etc.

AFAIK the policy is to be as close to upstream as possible so Fedora
fiddles as little with defaults and settings as possible..

We are not dropping anything other than "Default" the default would be
renamed Gnome.. .
> Not having a default is the same as it was a few years ago when
> multiple distros and multiple packages for the same task were all
> installed, allowing a person to make a "fair choice". What that really
> did was confuse new users.
User would just get the Gnome live disk or hash Gnome desktop enviroment
in Anaconda same as KDE user have had to do for a long time

XFCE,LXDE along with the fifth one dont even get to be listed with the
Gnome and KDE under Desktop Enviroments in Anaconda
those user need to go trough all the trouble to cherry pick those
packages by them selfs..

> I like how far Fedora has come in this regard. (The one package by
> default concept was pushed forward by Ubuntu and it was found to be so
> successful that most distros are doing something similar.)

Could you please elaborate how "The one package by default" concept was
pushed forward by Ubuntu?

> Forcing a choice at install time to uninformed users is plain bad
> usability. Allowing those that are informed to change the defaults is
> the right way.

Checking one check box on the dvd is not that bad usability...

JBG