FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 28 18:02:50 UTC 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> What I did say however is that using the input feedback
> functionality of your sound card as a way to connect two machines to a
> single set of speakers is an exotic usage I don't see the need for to
> expose in the UI.

Funny, I've done that twice (at home, and at work). Doesn't seem at all
unusual for any case of having more than one machine. (I wouldn't even
think it's that unusual even to do things like patching, say, a PS3
through a computer.)

 From our perspectives, this usage isn't "exotic" at all, and that you
continually insist it is feels offensive.

I've also seen people doing things like hooking multiple independent
sound systems to single inputs (not computers, granted). IOW, I've seen
more sound setups you consider "exotic" than setups you apparently
consider "mainstream"... *especially* if you take laptops out of the
equation. Now, I don't have a representative sample, but *neither do
you*. Try seeing things from our perspective, for a change, instead of
assuming that you have the truth and we are aberrations.

(Fortunately I am a KDE user, and have kmix, and so this conversation
mostly doesn't apply to me.)

Oh, and, please do not quote my e-mail address unobfuscated in message
bodies. Better yet, please configure your mailer not to do so.

> You lose the ability to have more than one CD to play from.

No you don't. I had (and still have, AFAIK) two CDAA cables plugged into
my sound card (one is in AUX), and I believe I have a third AA cable
from a TV tuner. (To be fair, I don't know which, if any, are still
needed, but at any rate, you're wrong that it can't be done.)

--
Matthew
What sort of trite mind