Abandon "Default Desktop"

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Apr 28 22:42:23 UTC 2009

On 04/28/2009 09:54 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 23:33 +0200, Frank Schmitt wrote:
>

>> The following is just some random bullshit, please don't take it
>> seriously. I just want to demonstrate length and terminology of such a
>> hint for the user (but probably even talking about frameworks and
>> applets might be to high level):
>>
>> [screen-  Gnome: A desktop environment that tries hard to enforce
>>  shot     consistent, accessible and coherent user interfaces. By
>>  default  default the list of running applications and the main menu
>>  desktop] items are split into two panels.
>>

>> [screen-  KDE: A desktop environment that gives its users more
>>  shot     possibilities to adapt the environment to specific needs. In
>>  default  KDE 4, panels and desktop are just different instances of a
>>  desktop] common framework, allowing to move applets between panels and
>>           the desktop.
>>

> You're on to four to five lines of text, which is way more than anyone
> wants to read to make a selection like this. Your text also assumes
> knowledge of what a "desktop environment" is, what a "panel" is, what an
> "applet" is...(and whether that's a problem or not *again* comes down to
> exactly who we're caring about here).
>
> I know you said not to care too much about your specific text, but I see
> the same problems every time someone attempts this. Describing GNOME and
> KDE in a concise fashion in a way that makes sense to someone who
> doesn't already actually *know* the difference seems very close to an
> un-solveable problem.

Well from my perspective I rather want to see a car ( screenshoots ) and
 take a look at it ( short introduction video )..

If I like what I see I would take it for a test drive ( live cd/usb )
rather
than reading about it.

Ones I run the car I would start reading what's under the hood..

Then again this discussion is kinda of topic and falls under what method
each individual application uses to present it self which btw they are
already facing

JBG