Abandon "Default Desktop"

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 22:57:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 16:48 +0100, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
>
>> Forcing a choice at install time to uninformed users is plain bad
>> usability. Allowing those that are informed to change the defaults is
>> the right way.
>
> Naheem nailed this one. The problem with forcing a choice is that, for a
> certain group of people, the choice is nonsense:

Do we have any reason to believe that this is a significant percentage
of the Fedora demographic? Or does it not matter if they only make up
1%? If so, are we targeting and possible type of Fedora user?

I personally think there would be less work to be done if Fedora
stopped partially targeting a class of newbie users who can't be
trusted to decide their own DE, but are willing to follow Fedora's
aggressive update/upgrade paths. I have seen little evidence that that
demographic even exists, yet everything seems to be done with their
best interest as the rationale.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )