F12 to require "i686", but which CPUs do not qualify?

Deji Akingunola dakingun at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 15:06:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Joachim<joachim.frieben at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I think there's a valid case for making an exception to this: when a
>> package is an accelerated version of a particular library.  That is,
>> when the basic functionality of a library is available in a i686
>> Fedora package, but a special SSEx version of the library makes use of
>> faster instructions.
>>
>> Andrew.
>
> Right now, there exist a number of packages which explicitly pull in
> atlas instead of the also available generic packages blas/lapack which
> do not exhibit these severe restrictions.
> Earlier versions of the Fedora atlas package actually supported a
> wider range of processors including even such offering 3dnow! and also
> plain x86. The current behaviour (code depending on lapack aborts
> because of illegal instructions) is a regression which has been
> introduced by the packager.

Correction: The current behaviour was not introduced by the packager,
it is because of changes in the upstream's design of the package;
unless of course you mean we should be stuck with the old version.
The only way to produce atlas binary for architectures not provided
for in the upstream tarball, is to bootstrap it on that particular
arch. Unfortunately none of Fedora build infrastructure is based on
PII or less.

Deji