Another linux kernel NULL pointer vulnerability ( exploit here )

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Aug 17 18:00:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 21:23 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 14.08.2009, 14:39 -0300 schrieb Itamar Reis Peixoto:
> > Hello guy's
> >
> > for the people who don't have updated the kernel.
>
> I'm running kernel-2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.x86_64 and this one is not
> supposed to be fixed, however...
>
> > http://grsecurity.net/%7Espender/wunderbar_emporium.tgz
>
> ... it doesn't work here. Although the author claims it's not stopped by
> SELinux (he even mentions Dan by name), SELinux one more time saves the
> world:

FYI I saw a real life attempt to exploit this over the weekend on a
machine of mine where someone had found a PHP exploit. Fortunately, I
had already upgraded the kernel and their rootkit attempt failed,
however it's worth emphasizing that this is certainly out there.

I have more information on the rootkit they used for legitimate security
researchers who are interested in the issue.

Jon.