network issues with kernel-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.i586

Christoph Höger choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 24 09:24:11 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I hope somebody can confirm this:

The last days I had some trouble with my networking (both wireless and
ethernet) in forms of high latency, strange arp behaviour etc.

Today I could not even ping anything outside. The problem seemed to be
that:

1. arp replys were ignored

2. if arp -s was used, anything else was ignored for the userspace

That means: I pinged my nameserver, and tcpdump showed request and
replys happily flowing around.
But: ping did not get any packet. It reported 100% packet loss.

That applies to any other userspace prog that uses a socket.

I also had some wireless errors (iwlagn: microcode error) in my dmesg
the days before.

Currently I am using kernel-2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.i586 and the problem
arised after some minutes again. Looks like a buffer run full or
somethign...

Is there a workaround?