fedora-pkgdb: make it discoverable on browser home page?

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 09:33:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Martin Bacovsky<mbacovsk at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Monday 24 August 2009 14:36:09 drago01 wrote:

>> > It's possible.  The packagedb is going to be the backend for the Fedora
>> > Community Front end so it had to get written this summer so that work on
>> > the front-end can proceed.
>>
>> For the front-end to be end user suitable it should:
>>
>> * List applications rather than packages
>> * Group them
>> * Provide some kind of rating system to show "best rated" or "most downloaded"
>> * Use the application icon if it has one
>> * Make use of the packagekit browser plugin for installation
>>

> This was actually the goal of Amber project https://fedorahosted.org/amber/wiki/Definition. The project stalled for almost a year. Then I wanted to join and take over  Amber development but we decided to better move the features into  pkgdb and work together.

I don't think pkgdb is the right place for this it can serve as a
backend (better would be to just access the underlying db directly,
for performance reasons), but the frontend is to developer and package
oriented.

> I also like the original Amber mockups (I believe they were created by Mike Langlie). You can see them here http://mbacovsk.fedorapeople.org/Amber/mockups/.
> Any feedback is welcome.

http://mbacovsk.fedorapeople.org/Amber/mockups/Fedora_apps.png

Should show categories first and than this view.

http://mbacovsk.fedorapeople.org/Amber/mockups/Fedora_app_page.png

Use a install rather than "Download" button.
The "Add Category" feature does not make sense imho. (same for tags)
Don't show "X-Redhat-Base" what is that supposed to mean to the user?
"Application" does not make sense as a category.
Remove the "packages" section, why should a user care about this?

It should be just a simple interface for users to find and install
apps and rate them (to find popular apps).