Page size pain / localisation / possible F13 feature

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Aug 27 17:40:08 UTC 2009

On 08/27/2009 12:11 PM, John J. McDonough wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
>
>> Living in a European milieu I generally prefer my page sizes to be set
>> to the likes of A4. One thing which keeps aggravating me is the myriad
>> places where I keep having to repeat to the computer my preference.
>
> And then in Publican, you get A4 and it is a major pain to switch to
> letter. If you want something that isn't "approximately" A4 sized it
> gets to be a full-blown project.
>
> Do we even have an inventory of places where page size matters?  And
> then, are those that "get it right" actually using some standard source,
> or do they simply use a different default?

A great first step would be to go make a list of the applications
included on the Desktop spin that support printing, and identify how it
configures its settings. That data might make it clear what the "system
default" should be, and efforts could then be made to patch the other
applications to use it.

~spot