FESCo meeting summary for 2009-07-31

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Aug 1 01:08:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Bastien Nocera<bnocera at redhat.com> wrote:

> That's what Moblin does, and you can ask Peter Robinson how much of a
> pain it is. If we want to ask upstreams to do tarball releases, I don't
> see why we should be making assertions like that.

It's only a pain because Fedora's infrastructure wasn't designed for
it; instead it implements the world's least optimized and most painful
revision control system of series-of-tarballs.  If the infrastructure
supported it directly, that would change the pain equation quite a
bit.

There is the detail that then you'd have to know how to run
autogen.sh, but jhbuild already has that knowledge for a lot of the
desktop core stack.

Anyways this kind of thing can be incremental; just because
infrastructure now supports pulling from git doesn't mean we'd need to
have a field day editing .spec files to get everything to use it.