[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Sat Aug 1 13:03:37 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 01:01:44AM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:

> It's also things like erratic output via PA versus smooth output via
> analog input.  This particular laptop pops and crackles every time the
> PCM starts/stops, while analog signals are much cleaner.

There's a patch in the rawhide kernel that may improve this, depending
on your codec. You can also disable HDA power saving.

>  And it would be pretty easy to have a warn once dialog that tells
> users that attempt to adjust the CD in volume that it may not have any
> effect if the analog input isn't connected to the sound card or if the
> cd playback software skips the analog input in favor of digital data
> transfer.  You could even ask users after an adjustment if the
> adjustment made any difference, and if it didn't, you could remove it
> from the UI.

We have a solution that we know always works, and it has negligable
cost. That's a much more straightforward design than one that has to
attempt to explain to the user that depending on whether or not there's
a specific piece of wire in their computer they may or may not hear
something in the CD player.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org