[ANNOUNCE] New Mixer Handling in PA 0.9.16/F12

Matthew Garrett mjg at redhat.com
Sat Aug 1 17:44:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 08:16:50AM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> CD in is nothing more than an analog input. PA ignores all the analog
> inputs other than as a digital PCM source. Treating all the analog
> inputs as digital sources and not allowing the hardware to mix them to
> output has various drawbacks. I've just been covering some of them.

You're continuing to conflate two issues - hardware mixing of multiple
PCM streams (which some hardware supports but PA doesn't make use of)
and having control over the levels of analog inputs that are mixed
straight into the analog output stream. PA exposes some of these, but
not all of them - however, you can still use an alternative mixer app if
you want to configure this for your specific niche use case. When
Lennart says "PulseAudio does not support hardware mixing" he is *not*
talking about the case you're describing.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org