KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 18:53:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 17:21 +0300, Juha Tuomala wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 August 2009 14:06:43 Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> > >
> > > Does this mean, that every time I've installed my system and left
> > > GNOME out, I made a broken system?
> > >
> > > Is there a list of those 'direct dependencies' somewhere?
> >
> > No, it means that updating gnome would mean updating a bunch of
> > libraries that are used by other apps.
>
> Which sounds like, it would break 'other apps', not 'the core OS'.

What's being talked about, specifically, is libraries like GTK+
(especially GTK+ itself). That's part of the 'core system' by any
reasonable definition, as many many applications depend on it
(including, say, our default browser, and all our system configuration
tools). There are several other components down in the stack that GNOME
depends on which are in the same situation.

Things aren't quite the same on the KDE side, as relatively few really
mission-critical apps in Fedora are built on Qt and the rest of the KDE
stack.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey