KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 01:18:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 17:23 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Adam Williamson<awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> I don't know that this is really the case.  KDE is rolling up a bugfix
> >> release.  Gnome does bugfix releases.  Other than a difference in how
> >> they number them, is there really that big of a difference in what they
> >> are doing?
> >
> > It's not a bugfix release, it's a bit ingenuous to describe it as one.
>
> Except for the fact that it fixes *over 10,000 bugs*. [1]
>
> And I believe the word you are looking for is *dis*ingenuous.
>
> It's hard to believe KDE 4.2 had that many bugs...
>
> [1] http://kde.org/announcements/4.3/index.php

I was actually reaching for another word entirely, but you're right that
ingenuous makes no sense. :)

A release that fixes bugs is not necessarily a bug fix release. A bug
fix release is a release that _exclusively_ fixes bugs. So any bug fix
release must fix bugs, but not any release that fixes bugs must be a bug
fix release.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey