KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Aug 6 05:59:25 UTC 2009

> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I probably couldn't do much justice to a comprehensive plan as I have
> > insufficient knowledge of how the buildsystem works. I was acting at a
> > higher level - just trying to point out that it's essentially doomed to
> > try and please everyone with a single update repository, that's not an
> > argument anyone can win. Either the 'we want stable updates' camp or the
> > 'we want shiny new stuff' camp is going to be disappointed.
>
> The problem is that your solution doubles maintainer and rel-eng workload. I
> think we really don't have the resources for that.

Please don't personalize things. It's not 'mine', and it's not really a
solution. I'm simply pointing out that it's literally impossible to
satisfy both possible update policies with a single unitary repository.
We either have to make it clear which policy we use and which policy we
don't, and hence which theoretical user base we are not targeting, or
take on extra work and try to satisfy both. I am not declaring myself in
favor of, or against, any particular option. I'm just pointing out the
parameters of the question.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey