rt2860 driver (fc11)

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:34:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Orcan Ogetbil<oget.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:58 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>>
>>> I maintain those drivers at RPMFusion. I will be happy beyond
>>> imagination when the staging drivers are marked stable.
>>
>> They won't ever (the rtxxxx Vendor drivers)
>>

> >From my understanding, the staging tree of the kernel contains drivers
> that are being prepared to be included in the main kernel tree[1].
> Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I'm not quite sure if I could catch what you meant. Are you being
> sarcastic, implying that the rt2xxx staging drivers will stay in the
> staging repo forever? I sure hope not :) Hey! Don't break my hopes!

The rtxxxx vendor drivers are considered a dead end by the
linux-wireless developers (just try to read the code and you would now
why), the plan is to get rt2800pci and rt2800usb into shape and get
them upstreamed.

They get no support from the wireless developers at all, Greg added
them to staging because "they are better than no drivers".

See the linux-wireless list for details.