KDE vs. GNOME on F10

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Aug 6 11:52:09 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> writes:

> To bring it back to where we came in, we have a problem in that the KDE
> team are following one policy (update to the latest KDE release on the
> basis that it brings in new shiny goodness and fixes more stuff than it
> breaks) while the GNOME team are following the other (don't go to the
> latest point release in the interest of consistency). This doesn't make
> sense

The KDE packagers have decided that KDE is good enough at avoiding
regressions that upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3 is reasonably safe. (Or
alternatively, that KDE 4.2 was so bad that 4.3 could only be an
improvement.) The Gnome packagers have the opposite views of Gnome.

Those 2 views do not conflict, and even if the teams were using the
exact same criteria, they could still come to those conclusions. You can
only call it inconsistent if KDE and Gnome have exactly the same release
policy and exactly the same history of bugs (or the absence of bugs).
This is clearly not the case.

/Benny